On 2013-12-31, 11:48 AM Alexandro Colorado wrote:
Hi I am in a disucussion with a friend about how slow is OpenOffice for Mac
since it relies on X11. I thought that X11 was no longer needed and an aqua
version was provided, but it seems this was not true since reading the FAQ
it says that X11 is included with AOO -- hence the dependency still with
the display manager.

AOO does not need X11. X11 was never included with OOo. Before OOo 3.0 X11 was required but it was included with Mac OS X.

However, since I don't own a mac, I would like to open the discussion to
the community and get some feedback regardling performance on cold boots,
between the different OS.

For 4.0.1 I got times of 4 seconds to boot-
On MacBook Pro - 2.4 GHz i5 -  8GB Ram - PCle SSD
After system reboot - 3 sec.
Subsequent - 2 sec.

On Late 2006 MacBook - 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo -2GB Ram - 7200rpm HDD
After system reboot - 18 sec.
Subsequent - 4.5 sec.

--

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." -
Edgard Varese