On 26/01/2014 jan i wrote:
*.openoffice.org  can only be used for services located on apache hosts, we
cannot give the certificate to e.g. sourceforge.

OK. So this is clear: the fact that we do have a *.openoffice.org certificate becomes irrelevant for this discussion since it cannot be used for externally hosted sites anyway. Good.

However it would be
possible to make a https: page under www.openoffice.org located on apache
servers, that list extensions from e.g. sourceforge, meaning the extensions
themself can be located outside apache (download will be http:// but lookup
is https://).

Besides the comment by Marcus, I think that here the idea is simply to be able (I see it from the user's point of view) to offer login and sessions over HTTPS at the same URL. So just like we moved
http://wiki.openoffice.org -> https://wiki.openoffice.org
keeping it on the same server, the idea would be to move
http://extensions.openoffice.org -> https://extensions.openoffice.org
but keeping it hosted where it is, not "mirrored" on the Apache servers.

Now, would this need a specific certificate covering only extensions.openoffice.org that can be requested (by whom? Apache?) and then handed over to SourceForge? I have no idea if this is a feasible solution, cost, effort, security considerations... Maybe there are other examples of domains where the DNS zone is managed by Apache, but hosting is external and HTTPS is available.

Regards,
  Andrea.