jan i wrote:
Can it really be correct, that we are our representation at our "own"
conference is at minimum ?
All of you who consider going, should also consider giving a presentation.

I definitely share the recommendation, but it is known that European events attract more talks in our case. I think the situation wasn't much different last year, honestly, with only a couple talks at ApacheCon US and more activity at FOSDEM just a few weeks before that. And we had a full day programme at ApacheCon Europe last time it was held (November 2012).

Please lets show how big a project and ecosystem we are, submit a talk.

We have many ways to show how big we are. I attend events every time it makes sense to be there, sure. ApacheCon, with a non-trivial admission fee for the general public (up to 1400$), is hardly an event where one can expect to enlarge the community or create awareness outside of the people who are already active in Apache. For those who haven't looked at http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-north-america/attend/register I must say that committers can enjoy a very good discount this year, with the committer fee at 275$.

So US-based people, and especially US-based committers, should definitely not miss ApacheCon US, and while at it propose a talk: OpenOffice has a lot of peculiarities that other Apache community members can be interested in. For Europe-based people, ApacheCon EU 2014 will be a more convenient occasion... but if someone can do both, wonderful!

Regards,
  Andrea.