On 2/28/2014 8:13 AM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:

 * The presence of templates that are not Gratis;
 * The presence of templates that are not Libre;
 * Some of the vocabulary used by SourceForge;

Not sure I understand this, can you please clarify? I'd be happy to change
 what could be a source of confusion.

a) One of the misconceptions about FLOSS, is that it is has to be gratis. Whilst FLOSS can be sold, the license permits everybody to race to the bottom, and offer the software for as close to gratis as their economic situation permits. This creates the expectation that the software is gratis.

There are some templates that require a payment to the creator, or other third party. In some instances, that is made clear during the downloading process. In most instances, it is clear only after careful study of the licensing portion of the template. The payment usually, but not always goes to a third party --- neither The Apache Foundation, nor the creator of the template.

b) Being an Apache Foundation project, my expectation is that templates be distributed under an Apache Licence. That is not the case. Instead, they range the gamut from BSD through proprietary licenses that are adamantly non-Libre. (The licenses fail Open Software Foundation, Free Software Foundation, and Debian Legal criteria for what constitutes a Libre licence

What would be helpful, would be if for each template:
* The license that it is distributed is clearly, and _accurately_ displayed;
* The cost, if any, is clearly displayed;
prior to downloading the template.

FWIW, the same thing also applies to extensions.

jonathon