I share the concern expressed by Roberto and Andreas.

Starting with the effort to establish ODF for use in civil administration in
Massachusetts, it was clear that no US civil authority, at any level up the
governmental hierarchy, was prepared to invest what was necessary to achieve
*actual* substitutability among standards-compliant implementations and to
identify and have addressed (via procurement policies and technical means)
their requirements for genuine cross-product/-platform interoperability.  This
does not seem to be something that governments can take on as a public good in
the present reality.

It is perhaps also no surprise that "interoperability" assessment among ODF
implementations appears to be more of the "works for me!" variety.

I could make a living if there were a bounty for every bug I find practically
anywhere I attempt to interchange documents cross-product.  The fact that there
are now deviations between Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice is particularly
discouraging as is the fact that the pair-wise deviations are even greater with
respect to interoperability with the Microsoft Office counterparts, whether via
ODF or via OOXML.

Hmm ...

I was just presenting at an international workshop on technical aspects of this
problem, centered around tracked changes.  Just in developing my papers and the
slides, I am going to need to spend considerable time reporting the bugs I
encountered, along with a possible defect in ODF itself that I had not
appreciated before.

And I am ignoring, here, the problems of training and staffing that goes with
making product substitutions in what we term office-productivity activities.

There seems to be a lack of will and means for the adopters, and a lack of
commitment among producers to cooperate enough to provide some reliable
assurance of interoperability.

Writing this has me be dispirited.  I will recover.  I have hope.

 - Dennis