Hello,

> From: Suminda Dharmasena [mailto:sirinath19...@gmail.com]

> I am writing to see if the current AOO Dev team would like to
> create an
> independent entity which can:
>
>    - Do trainings
>    - Accept funds and have pay developers
>    - Write commercial books / online tutorials with sponsorship

you're right, but I fear that the general rules of Apache do not allow.

Let me describe the practice:

a problem is the inability to be able to donate directly to a particular Apache
project.

In the German OpenOffice community so we have activities besides the official
project develop to be able to act.
One example is http://www.prooo-box.org, because that is formally an entirely
independent project, but we would rather were part of AOO.

These things concern matters which are only central to clarify with Apache
because OpenOffice is part of Apache and can not act alone, but must take into
account the will of all Apache members, so all Apache projects.

I'd want the very act could the local communities AOO independent, but that
they can not do unilaterally, but only with the consent of all Apache members.

I think we should look for solutions for this purpose, because they are for AOO
equally important as good programmers.

Example:
Money is not the only issue, but donations are an important issue. imho it
would, for example, very helpful if the local (national) communities (for
example, en, de, it, it, ....) could collect even donations.
I can very well imagine that an integral part of these donations would then be
forwarded to Apache, but over the rest of the local communities must be able to
freely dispose.

The specific problem is that we as could accumulate in Germany every year many
thousands of euros for OpenOffice, but at the same time hardly anyone has
interest in Apache generally to donate.
The result of the overall situation is therefore unfortunately we practice (in
Germany) have no donations for OpenOffice, nor donations for Apache.
This vicious circle needs to be broken.

Greetings,
Jörg