John D'Orazio schreef op 01-10-2016 1:10:

I still don't quite get what this phrase is trying to express, and it
really sounds like Yoda to me too. I would certainly try to rephrase it so it flows better. My understanding is that this is what it's trying to get
across:
"You will often find in the mailing lists that a shortcut notation is used
to refer to the same lists. Writing a list name in full, like
dev@openoffice.apache.org can be tedious. So you will often see it called
just "dev"."

Well, that's it entirely.

A useful shortcut notation you will often see on the lists. Writing a list name in full, like dev@openoffice.apache.org can be tedious. So you will
often see it called just "dev". Similarly, top-level lists like
tradema...@apache.org are often referred to as "trademarks@". This shortcut
can be used to refer either to the mailing list and to the team that
operates the mailing list. The context should make it clear, e.g., "You
should check with trademarks@ on whether this will be problem"."

The preceding 2 sections were about the mailing lists. While on the same topic, the person writing has a thing on their mind.

It first mentions the thing without describing it in full. But what it fully expresses is just what it says of course :p.

The closest alternative is:

"Often times on the lists you will find that a shorthand notation is being used to refer to these lists. This shorthand notation will be like "dev" or also "trademarks@" and both will refer to a mailing list, in case you didn't yet realize ;-). The notation can also refer to the team that operates the mailing list. The context in which it is used should make that clear, e.g. "You should check with trademarks@ on whether this will be a problem." would refer to the people on that list. These lists reference "dev@openoffice.apache.org" and "tradema...@office.apache.org", just to be clear. The reason is that writing the list name in full could be quite tedious."

Well, in my style, perhaps.

If you would want to analyse:

A useful shortcut notation you will often see on the lists.

- person just came up with something he had almost forgotten and references it in advance as in "oh yes", points to thing.

Writing a list name in full, like dev@openoffice.apache.org can be tedious.

- reason for the thing that is going to be described

So you will often see it called just "dev".

- references both the thing and the reason for it

Similarly, top-level lists like tradema...@apache.org are often referred to as "trademarks@".

- describes the thing further, and the reasons for it.

This shortcut can be used to refer either to the mailing list
and to the team that operates the mailing list.

- Mentions that the previous two things were the shortcut first hinted at.

The context should make it clear, e.g., "You
should check with trademarks@ on whether this will be problem"."

- explains last sentence.

Point is that yes it is Yoda style. And if you skip reading the other parts or you jump into the text it is quite incomprehensible, perhaps, yes, I think.

But it's no different than.

"Another thing. I mentioned earlier that ... I still feel you should do it but there are reasons bla. It is just not right yet."

It is just something someone would say that just came up with something important that was nearly forgotten, or something of the kind.

If you took it out of the paragraph and turned it into a header it would suddenly make more sense:

5. A useful shortcut notation you will often see on the lists.

Writing a list name in full, like dev@openoffice.apache.org can be tedious. So you will often see it called just "dev". Similarly, top-level lists like tradema...@apache.org are often referred to as "trademarks@". This shortcut can be used to refer either to the mailing list and to the team that operates the mailing list. The context should make it clear, e.g., "You should check with trademarks@ on whether this will be problem"."

Because it is exactly that, the text is just not formatted that way.

It's a header not formatted as a header, that's all ;-).

It's an announcement of what is to follow, like a header would be.

Maybe it's pedantic, but yeah. That's just... I think.... what it exactly is, or close to it.