Betreff: [FrOSCon Alumni] Call for Papers FrOSCon 2020 Cloud edition
Datum: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 03:01:02 +0200
Von: Andreas Kupfer <kup...@froscon.de>
Antwort an: progr...@froscon.de, kont...@froscon.de
An: alu...@lists.froscon.de

Hello,

you are receiving this mail because you have previously been involved with
making FrOSCon a successful Free and Open Source Software event.

As you might have heard we decided to make FrOSCon 15 an online only event.

If you would like to help us out again:  We have started this year's Call
for Papers. See our website for details:
https://www.froscon.org/cfp/ or refer to the texts
below. Please feel free to forward this to anybody who might be interested.

For the FrOSCon Orga team,

Andreas aka ScottyTM

# Call for Papers FrOSCon 2020 Cloud edition #

Let's talk about the elephant in the room: This CfP is different as it's
all about a virus. Due to the current situation we decided to make this
years' FrOSCon an online only event

The Free and Open Source Software Conference (FrOSCon), an annual summer
conference for users and developers of FOSS, will be held from August 22nd
to August 23rd in the cloud. It is organized by the university's
Department of Computer Science in collaboration with the student body and
the FrOSCon e.V.

As its key feature, volunteer speakers will deliver a comprehensive range
of talks and workshops. Additionally we like to offer a platform to Free
Software developers and projects to organize their own
meetings or sub-conferences. There will be additional information on this.

# Topics #

We are looking for contributed papers on current trends and developments
in all areas of Free and Open Source Software, e.g.:
- Operating systems
- Software development
- Administration
- IT security
- Legal aspects
- Desktop
- Education
- Geographic Information Systems (GISs)
- Cloud

Focus areas in 2020 are:

 - Antivirus software - How Open Source Software can help overcome the
crisis

 - Balanced by the market - video conferencing: Zoom on the Big    Blue
Button in Teams
- Working (together) in spite of Corona - Lessons learned on the journey
to working from home

 - Privacy vs. pandemic response - Who's protecting our data from the virus

 - Clouds on the horizon - What happens when there's no space left in
the cloud

 - Infrastruktur as a Scalability-Issue - Need more bandwidth, VPNs and
everything

# Submitting Contributions #

To submit a paper, create an account and submit your contribution at
https://cfp.froscon.org/. To participate in the Call for Papers, you will
have to submit a short abstract as well as a detailed description of your
proposed session.

All accepted speakers must submit slides for their talk before the event.

The call for papers is open through May 23rd, 2020. The program committee
meets to review proposals in early June. We will do our best to notify
submitters whether their proposals were accepted within a week or two.

# Language #

Talks can be held in German or in English. The choice of
language should depend solely on which language is more suitable for
presenting the chosen topic. Language of submitted texts and the resulting
talk should be the same.
# Length of the submissions #

The abstract should summarize the planned content of the talk in a precise
and succinct way. We do not place a limit on its length.

Talks should take no more than 45 minutes, in order to allow some time
for Q&A and speaker transition.

We can accept longer contributions in special cases, we ask for a
justification for the longer extent in this case.
# Format #

Abstract and description have to be submitted as plain text via the
https://cfp.froscon.de/. We ask for submission of the slides in PDF
format; other open document formats such as LibreOffice should only be
submitted after prior consultation.
# Licenses #

We will publish abstract, description, slides and a video of your
presentation online and include the abstract in the conference program. We
require that you place your contributions under the Creative Commons
Attribution 4.0 International
( https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/ ) license (or a more
lenient license).

Unless another license is noted, we will assume that your contribution is
under this license. If you want to place your works under a less
restrictive license, please note so with your submission.
# Selection of contributions #

Contributions are selected based on their content by a program committee.
Please understand that we cannot accept all contributions and are limited
by the number and quality of the submissions. We will favor submissions
which fall under one of the aforementioned topics.

# Other remuneration #

FrOSCon is organized by volunteers and is mostly funded by partners. We
ask you to understand that we will not be able to reimburse you for your
expenses.

# Technical support #

Please contact us if you won't be able to stream or at least record your
talk adequately. We'll see how we can support you.

# Social Event #

We are planning to hold a social event online on the evening of the 22nd
and kindly invite all speakers to attend.
# Important Dates and Contact Information #

May 23rd, 2020 End of the Call for Papers. All contributions need to be
               submitted by this date in order to qualify.

Mid June 2020 Notification of acceptance of all contributions .

June 30th, 2020 Final acceptance. We ask all invited speakers to give
                their final confirmation by this date.
July 18th, 2020 Last date for submitting slides.
August 22nd, 2020 First day of FrOSCon.

Further information can be found on the website under
https://www.froscon.org/.

Please send questions about the Call for Papers via email to:
prog...@froscon.org

Contact the organizers via email: cont...@froscon.org

Postal address:

FrOSCon e.V. c/o Fachhochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg
53757 Sankt Augustin
Germany

--
FrOSCon 2020
August 22nd - August 23rd 2020, The Internet