For me, the issue is whether it is, indeed, a code problem in 4.1.8 that
requires fixes
and thus a 4.1.9 release, or whether it is a *build* problem, that implies that
building
4.1.8 with a newer SDK will resolve the problem. AFAICT, that question is still
unresolved.
What we DO know is that 4.2.0-dev works fine under Big Sur.

With that in mind, over the next week I may try building 4.1.8 but with various
versions
of Xcode and macOS SDKs...