Your documents are still wherever you saved them. What has been lost is the
list of the names of recent documents kept by OpenOffice. If you know the
folder where your files were saved, you can use the menu File -> Open to
navigate there and open them. If you do not know where the files are saved,
you can try File -> Open and see if it happens to take you to the correct
location. If not, you will have to search for the files on your computer.
How to do that depends on what operating system you have, Windows or Mac or
something else.

regards,
Francis