Hello all --

If you'd like an opinion from someone who hasn't contributed to the project in about 3 years...

I think using the filter API is the way to go. I remember getting very curious about the filter API quite some time ago for something I wanted to work on -- maybe generic XML docs, and realized this API seemed very useful but I wasn't sure how it had been used. So, one opinion for you in any case.