On 28/11/22 Matthias Seidel wrote:
Am 28.11.22 um 20:04 schrieb Carl Marcum:
I would also be for disabling inactive accounts and letting people
request it to sysadmin@ or something like that if that would help.
That would also be my proposal. But I have no idea what is possible.
Andrea might know more?

I'm gradually getting back to having the Wiki and Forum under control, even though I'm still checking the new setup - but I can now access the VM and run commands as admin (sudo) there.

As for the Wiki, I don't know how widespread it is, but indeed it seems like some old accounts are being hijacked for massive spam posts.

Unfortunately deleting them is not easy, or at least we would need to add a plugin like https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Nuke which is meant for mass deletion.

I believe we can add a CAPTCHA for creation of new pages at least, in order to slow down activity; it looks like these accounts are used to create 1000-2000 new pages in ~24 hours and then stop.

As for blocking users who have been inactive for N years and simply asking them to mail sysadmin@ to reinstate their accounts, this could work as the two hijacked account (Bell6557 and albr...@comcast.net) were both active long ago (10+ years). For the moment, I simply ensured both accounts are block indefinitely, but there might be more.

Regards,
  Andrea.