Hi Peter,

PETER EBERLEIN wrote:
naturally it is legitim for selling reasons to implement the com.sun.star.Mail.MailserviceProvider - Service only for StarOffice.
But *that* is the reason, why it not works and not the JavaMail.

Yes as I said, the description on the mail merge wizard is plain wrong
this is a bug.

Can you take a look at the specs-doc please (toc 4.2), the programmers have to follow:

"1.For sending out merged document *OpenOffice.org* uses the Java Mail API [1]. The JavaMail API provides a platform-independent and protocol-independent framework to build mail and messaging applications. The JavaMail API is implemented as a Java platform optional package and is also available as part of the Java 2 platform, Enterprise Edition. Due to the fact that OpenOffice.org is not bundled by default with Java or Java Enterprise Edition features, users have to assure that Java is install and the Java Mail API is also available. This belongs not to StarOffice. StarOffice will provide the needed APIs and Java, so that a working system is assured for this product."

The specification is wrong as well I will take care to correct it

This makes the users believe, that it would work, if JavaMail is installed and configured.

I think an end user (if this is meant) will rarely see a specification for OOo and so may not be confused by one. Developer, documentation, etc. might of course be disoriented and that's why the specification has to be clarified.

On the German list we were also told that because of license reasons this feature was not implemented into OpenOffice (contact Elizabeth about that).

Even the decision to use Javamail to realize the email connection and with it releated license issues lead to the current state that's true. But that should not serve as an excuse or pretense for ommiting the feature in OOo. Commercial aspects played a role as well and that's absolutely ligitimate in my personal opinion. Sun is not hampering anybody to implement an appropriate service for the email connection using whatever technology in the background - the interfaces are open.

That's not correct and frustrating.

You are the first one who made a statement about the commercial background. Thanks for clearing it. And with a correct statement at the right time SUN can avoid offenses (issue 11244 is not a new one).

It's surely not intended by Sun to confuse the OOo community. Even at Sun there are working people who are not free from making errors from time to time ;-)

Kind regards,
Tino