Hi,

sorry, could not resist...

>>Sorry for the (may be stupid) question, but why not just change
>>OSL_VERIFY to emit nothing, in case OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL == 0? I would expect
>>that only weird code would relay on the evaluation in case of a zero
>>debug level.
>
> Why "weird"? The alternative is something like
>   #if OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL > 0
>     bool result =
>   #endif
>       callSomeFooWhichSignalsSuccess( bar );
>     OSL_ENSURE( result, "this was expected to succeed!" );

In a non-"weird" language with a cute compiler, the natural way of
expressing this would be:

  bool(ean) result = callSomeFooWhichSignalsSuccess( bar );
  if (OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL > 0) {
    OSL_ENSURE(result, "this was expected to succeed!");
  }

Where OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL is something that can be determined at comile
time.

But, of cause, I may have misunderstood the problem...

> I definately think that
>   OSL_VERIFY( callSomeFooWhichSignalsSuccess( bar ) );
> is the better (non-weird) alternative here.

Regards
Bernhard