On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 09:58 +0200, Nikolai Pretzell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  > Ken Foskey wrote:
> >> So I would actually recommend against an all out warnings push unless
> >> everyone is VERY clear the objective is to highlight bugs not to remove
> >> warnings.  The difference in objectives is very important.
>
> Yes, but given the mass of code we have, the only way I see to really
> "highlight bugs", is to remove as much as all warnings.

I consider myself a very experienced developer and to boot I have worked
through a huge amount of warnings removal in several programs.  I have
been caught before between the subtle difference between warning removal
and removing warnings for the purpose of highlighting bugs.

Experience is not the issue,  mundane means that even experienced
programmers will hide the bug by correcting the warning.

The goal of the task is to highlight bugs by removing obvious warnings
then taking your time to eliminate the rest.  Do this too fast and your
fingers and quick solutions will take over.  I speak from experience.

Thanks
Ken Foskey
OpenOffice.org Programmer