The hack to extract all RPMs should be able to work for you but I wanted to
point this out because it's saved me a few times I really needed root.

Do you have sudo access?
If so try "sudo -s", if that's blocked try sudo /bin/bash (or whatever your
shell is) if that is also blocked you can always drop your own shell in your
home dir and run it. If sudo access is really locked down it might not work
on the boxes you mention but it's useful to know for those times it will.

- Brian