Heiner,

Jens-Heiner Rechtien wrote:
Hi,

I did some measurements with a copy of SRC680 m164 and one of the more pathological calc documents, and found that the "lock" prefix indeed imposes a significant overhead of about 8% on a non HT 1.8 GHz Pentium IV.

8% would really be a great improvement, especially compared to the amount of work we need to invest. I expect this relative number to even be higher after the integration of Maltes perform07 CWS. So, we should find a way to integrate this change in a compatible (SMP, ABI) way, in particular because of performance improvements are even be more interesting for people with older machines.

Heiner
Kay