Hi Tobias,

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 03:40:08PM +0200, Tobias Krais wrote:

> I submitted a bug against the Debian OpenOffice package and we need your
> help to solve it.
>
> Problem description: In my Java application I use the OO bootstrap
> mechanism with the classloader classes as described here:
> http://codesnippets.services.openoffice.org/Office/Office.BootstrapOpenOffice.snip
> In case there is no soffice executable in my PATH the bootstrap classes
> won't find the OO installation.

> What makes the soffice execuable so specific that the Debian ooffice
> executable does not work? Please help us answering this question to
> solve this Bug in Debian.

Nothing I guess...
It seems that debian just did not calls it soffice and is simply not found.
Not being able to find the installation without that startup-link is
nothing special either - since vanilla OOo is not spread across the
filesystem, but everything resides in one single prefix.

file /usr/bin/soffice
/usr/bin/soffice: symbolic link to /etc/openoffice.org-2.0/program/soffice

And /etc/openoffice.org-2.0 is in turn a symlink to /opt/openoffice.org2.0

file /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/soffice
/opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/soffice: Bourne shell script text
executable

And there you have it. A simple shell-cribt that sets up some
environment variable and then calls <itself>.bin (→ soffice.bin)

The link in /usr/bin, as well as the symlink in /etc is setup by the
desktop-integration packages.

ciao
Christian
--