> > I would also be interested in changing RestrictedPath from an
> > environmental variable to a configuration (.xcs/.xcu) setting.

I'm realizing that it make this useful, a system administrator would
probably need a way to insert the user's username or WinNT domain\username
into the path.  So for example, the system administrator could set
RestrictedPath to \\fileserver\userfiles\$(username) and OOo would make the
appropriate substitution.  The same feature would be useful with any of the
path variables in org.openoffice.Office.Common/Path.  See
http://api.openoffice.org/docs/DevelopersGuide/OfficeDev/OfficeDev.xhtml#1_2
_7_2_Path_Variables

Is there a way to do this already?

If not, I think it would make sense to add this to
framework\source\services\substitutepathvars.cxx (and possibly also to
svtools\source\config\pathoptions.cxx

Allen