Hi

I need to write a UNO component - I am familiar with Java and Python -

Both languages are valuable for UNO components

I am attracted by the ease and the scripting paradigm of python - but

:-)

the support in openoffice for Java appears to be better?  I have a
feeling that the python UNO interface has not been updated in a while.

What do you mean by support ? if documentation, yes !!!!
The developpers guide is entirely (almost) provided with java example
But this can be easily translated into other languages

Any documentation written dedicated to python is welcommed. Some is already available but it is not that complete. See Extensions website
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensions
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensions_development_python

For the pyUNO, any volunteer helping maintaining the bridge is always welcomed.

Would it be wise to go the python route for creating the UNO component...?

FYI, a key feature as the mailmerge in OOo is written in python
the more python will be used, the more it will live

Btw, use the language you're more comfortable with. Both are valuable to me. Some other shining people will advocate the use of java

The most important is to provide functionalities to OOo in the easiest maneer

if you have questions regarding extensions, you may contact the following mailing lists :
[EMAIL PROTECTED] for creating your extension
[EMAIL PROTECTED] for creating tools, documentation that make experience creating extensions easier
[EMAIL PROTECTED];org to any OOo API related question

Thanks

Laurent

--
Laurent Godard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - Ingénierie OpenOffice.org - http://www.indesko.com Nuxeo Enterprise Content Management >> http://www.nuxeo.com - http://www.nuxeo.org
Livre "Programmation OpenOffice.org", Eyrolles 2004-2006