> > Can we cull these to at least remove all the milestones <
> current - 5,
> > and consider dropping the release candidates and the 1.0.X releases.

> What would we do then with the issues which currently have
> one of those versions set? We cannot simply remove the
> versions, this would violate the data integrity. We would
> have to reset this field for the affected issues.

How about just changing the UI on the website?  We could make it so that
normally only the "active" versions would be displayed in the scrolling
list, but somewhere there would be a checkbox or other option to make it
display all versions.  In the search screen, we could also add some
"meta-versions" to the list, i.e., "Any version", "Any v1.x", "Any v2.x",
etc.