> 2. yes, FSF doesn't accept e.g. non-paper-worked contributions to
> free software it maintains, e.g. Emacs.

The obvious point, if we must belabor it, is that an organization like FSF
would "never" take an open source program to which it held an assigned
copyright and re-license it under a commercial license.  The FSF's
intentions and practices are very different from Sun's.  Sun is explicitly
asking for copyright assignment so that it can re-license the contributions
under a commercial license to anyone it chooses.  Many potential
contributors would consider assigning copyright to a foundation such as FSF
to be very different than assigning copyright to a corporation such as Sun
for their commercial use.  For that reason, comparisons between Sun's
practices and the FSF's practices, or comparison to the practices of any
similar non-profit or foundation such as the Apache Project, etc., are not
very relevant and are in fact misleading, IMPO.

Allen