Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
Hi,
Le 3 mars 08 à 17:57, Malte Timmermann a écrit :

Seems we have to distinguish here a little bit:

It is NOT acceptable for me if I (silently) loose the meta data when not
having Java. Data must be kept when loading/manipulating/storing the
doc, and the user should be able to see that/where extra data is.

It IS acceptable for me if Java is required for writing Plugins to
manipulate meta data or advanced features. Then I also have no objection
to raise the requirement from Java 1.4 to 1.5.

Probably it needs some more discussion to define the requirements what
exactly must be possible w/o having Java, and how the user can see
existing meta data in some way then.

I think you have presented the question in a clear way. I don't think Java should be *required* to write plugins though, but that's just my opinion.
Java is not required but probably the most comfortable way to develop platform independent extensions. I personally see a growing number of Java extensions and i will support and even promote it wherever i can. Using for example WebServices in extensions opens a huge field for cool extensions ...

I would also like to use Java for signatures instead of the mozilla stuff. But that would increase the Java requirements as well and would make it mandatory. Anyway this is a separate discussion and off topic here.

Java is available in most cases and of course open source as well. I personally see there no problem but of course that's my personal opinion.

Juergen

Best,
Charles.

Malte.