Jan Holesovsky wrote:
Hi Mathias,

Hi there!

On Wednesday 02 of April 2008, Mathias Bauer wrote:

Hi, I'm new to Calc, and fascinated by its power, but while using "Link
to External Data" to get realtime stock quote, the website asks me to log
in first, would you mind telling me how to type username/password when
importing external data? Thanks. - psist -
I assume that "external data" shall mean "http". In ftp you could use
the "user:[EMAIL PROTECTED]" syntax, not sure if this is possible for http.

Unfortunately not until the CWS webdavandgvfslocking1 which changes tools/source/fsys/urlobj.cxx to support the user and password for http as well.

I suppose this CWS is only going to solve HTTP Basic and HTTP Digest Authentication as per rfc2617. But what about the much more common case of sites which are using form-based Authentication and than set a cookie to indicate that the user has been logged in successfully or use a special redirect URL after a successful login? Is there already a solution for being able to use such sites with calc in the works as well?

To even extend this idea I could imagine a system where a sequence of urls must be executed with checking of results between each step before finally the URL which get´s you the data into calc can be executed. The external Data Link dialog could than let the user specify such sequence or even better two such sequences one that is to be executed just once and one that is to be executed before every update of the data. Placeholders in the URL which can be replaced by values of calc cells would be a nice idea there too. Doing so would solve the login problem as well as enable a bunch of other solutions such as being able to calculate with the result of a complex website query.

And just one related question: when connecting to http sites does the UCP for http+webdav maintain state at all at the momment? That is are cookies set by the server stored and send at the next request? If the answer to this is yes there might be a possible other solution which could already work now how to solve the login to form-based-authentication sites and other problems.

Regards,
Jan

Regards,
Bernd Eilers