non product build != debuggable build

a non product build contains no more debugging information than the product build; the non product build activates assertions (per default in the form of popping up dialog boxes) which may or may not hint problems.

To build with debug info use "build debug=true". A build complete with debug info is possible on Windows I think, however on other platforms the libraries grow so much, that the office does not fit into 32 bit address space anymore and therefore will not run. Get a stacktrace first, then compile selected modules with debug information for debugging purposes.

Just my 2 cents, pl

Joerg Doll wrote:
Hi,

in some cases it would be great to have an debugable version of an OpenOffice.org release (e.g 2.x.x) to clarify problems. When using the API of OOo (for example within an extension or an external java program) and OpenOffice.org crashes under misterious circumstances this could the best way to isolate the problem and report issues with higher quality. [1] describes how to debug and refers to non production build [2], which should contain the neccessary debug stuff.

Where can I find non production builds?

As I understood the only way to get a non production build is to rebuild OpenOffice.org. If so then we should have in mind that everybody who needs a non production build has to do this time consuming and error-prone task. So, would it be possible to provide non production builds (debug version) for every OpenOffice.org release by default?

Best regards

Jörg Doll

[1] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Debugging
[2] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Non_Product_Build

Someone told me: "Smile and be happy, it could be worse"
And I smiled and was happy and things became worse.
     -- Author unknown