Hi Emmanuel,

OOo recently switched to saxon for xsl transformations and with saxon there you can have a quite nice solution for displaying messages from OOo XSLT Filters:

You can have a small java extension that gets the Saxon Controller and than tells it to use your own MessageEmmiter for xsl:message output. The MessageEmitter can for example output the message to a java swing JTextArea in a java swing JFrame.

Your transformation must just once call the java function to redirect xsl:messages and than you can use xsl:message as you did before in your transformations.

I have created an example netbeans project doing this and tested it in OOo DEV300m39 where it worked. I will send you a zipfile with the netbeans project off-mailinglist. To make this work you must put the jar file it creates plus the saxon9.jar from */OOo-dev 3/basis/program/classes into the classpath setting under tools/options/java in OpenOffice.org.

A sample stylesheet is also be included in the netbeans project.

Kind regards,
Bernd Eilers

Emmanuel Begue wrote:
Hello,

In the case of an OOo filter (XSLT) that takes
a long time to run (big source document) is there
a way to provide some kind of feedback to the
end user?

When using the same transformation from a
command line, I use <xsl:message> instructions
to show the user what nodes are being processed
and what actions are being taken.

But, when run as a filter, xsl:message don't
show up anywhere (that I know of): can they
be displayed, and how? or is there another
way to provide feedback?

Thanks,
Regards,
EB