Martin Hollmichel wrote:
Mathias Bauer wrote:
Ingrid Halama wrote:

This is not sufficient. Heavy code restructurings and cleanups are not bound to the feature freeze date,
Perhaps they should? And at least as far as it concerns me they are.
yes, I also consider large amount or new, move or restructured code as a feature and had erroneously the expectation that this is already common sense. If all agree we should add this to the Feature Freeze criteria (http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Feature_freeze)
Two problems here. The worst one is that you cannot control that this new rule is applied. Who decides that a code change is too huge to risk it for the next release in two months or so? You won't count lines, don't you - that would be stupid. Those who are willing to act carefully are doing that already I am convinced. And those who are not acting carefully you cannot control really with this new rule. So introducing this new rule will basically change nothing. The second problem is that sometimes bad bugs even detected later in the phase need bigger code changes. In my opinion only very experienced developers are able to make serious estimations whether the fix is worth the risk or not. So what to do now? Should we make a rule 'Let a very experienced developer check your code'? Sometimes I wish that but I am not sure that it would scale and - how would you organize and control such a rule? We have a similar rule for the show stopper phase (let you change be reviewed by a second developer), but even that rule is violated often I am convinced. So I would like to see mandatory automatic tests that detect whether the important user scenarios still work properly, whether files are still rendered as they should, whether the performance of the office has not significantly decreased, .... . We have a lot tests already even if there is much room for improvement. In principle some of the tests are mandatory already, but this rule gets ignored very often. The good thing is that a violation of this rule could be detected relative easily and thus used as a criterion for nomination.

Ingrid