On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 17:48 -0500, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install open office from source (OOo_3.1.0_src_core.tar.bz2)
>
> But 'configure' gives me the following error.
>
> checking whether to build with Java support... yes
> checking for java... no
> checking the installed JDK... configure: error: JAVA not found. You
> need at least jdk-1.5, or gcj-4
>
> However, I have gcj installed.
> $ gcj --version

While it is possible, if you know the exact incantation, to get OOo to
build with the *direct* commands of "gcj" and "gij", the very much
recommended way is to use commands of "javac" and "java".

Generally a distribution has a package along the lines of
java-1.5.0-gcj/java-1.5.0-gcj-devel which provide various links and a
directory hierarchy that creates a sun-java-alike wrapper around an
underlying implementation of gcj/ecj + gij.

So what does "javac" and "java" say ?

C.