Sorry, I didn't investigate all materials carefully. But, since CMake
also uses GNU make as backend, I decided you're planning to use whole
GNU build system.

Yes, I know there're some large projects that use GNU make as build
system, e.g. commercial quantum package Molpro. But it's the way of
developing your own build system instead of using/improving existing
one (I don't call GNU make itself a "build system" because it has too
few built-in facilities comparing to CMake or autotools)

> That is not a migration in steps because it would require to make
> CMake the "master build system" and integrate our currently build
> system in it.

No, it wouldn't. You can use CMake for subprojects and call it from
build system with appropriate parameters. CMake can do in-tree build