Hi Eric, *,

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 2:10 PM, eric b <eric.bach...@free.fr> wrote:
> Le 30 juil. 10 à 13:49, Christian Lohmaier a écrit :
>> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 1:02 AM, Michal Spisiak
>> <michal.spis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a problem building OOo DEV300-m83 on ubuntu 9.10. I downloaded the
>>> bundle, updated, ran configure with:
>>>
>>> [configure line cut from here and pasted below for context]
>>>
>>> to disable everything that might cause problems.
>>
>> Specifying random configure flags is /asking for problems/,
>
> Those flags are not random : everything disabled helps to build faster.

Well, the statement was they were used to avoid everything that might
cause problems. My point is that using configure flags creates more
problems, as building with options is far less tested than building
with the defaults.
If the goal is to build faster, then only noteworthy stuff is to
disable binfilter and disable odk, and using prebuilt mozilla/to
disable mozilla. And of course only build en-US and no other language.
The other options doesn't necessarily reduce build time, but rather
use different codepaths.

My recommendation is to use ccache - with that the other stuff doesn't
really add much to the overall build time needed.

> In
> our situation, only OOo is not buildable, while Go-OO, OOo4Kids are, without
> one glitch, and we are searching why.

I want to comment on the options (for linux)

>>> $ ./configure --enable-cups

is the default anyway

>>>  --disable-crashdump

is the default anyway

>>> --disable-fontconfig

Doesn't disable stuff, but instead switches to other code. (See also below)

>>> --with-epm=internal

is the default anyway

>>> --disable-gtk

You get "ugly" OOo on gnome, no theme integration. I doubt you will
get any noticable difference in compile time.

>>> --disable-gnome-vfs

Similar to the above. I'd only disable them if I'd exclusively used
KDE (but I'm a Gnome user anyway)

>>> --with-system-curl

curl is so small ...

>>> --with-stlport=no

DANGEROUS option. Quoting configure:
                           Warning!!, disabling using --without-stlport or
                           enabling using --with-stlport on a platform that
                           defaults to the opposite will break ABI compatability

>>> --disable-build-mozilla --disable-binfilter --disable-odk

Those are OK, and suggested if you're intending to hack on OOo.

>>> --disable-vba

Not sure how much that involves, but again I doubt you will notice if
it saves 5 Minutes...

>>> --disable-mozilla --enable-crashdump=no

conflicting with above mozilla option as mentioned,
--enable-crashdum=no is nonstandard way of specifying it (
--disable-crashdump would be standard way to do it), furthermore it is
not enabled by default anyway.

>>> --with-use-shell=bash

This is obsolete, for current build bash is the only shell used by the
build (i.e. the option was removed), but for building older milestones
it is recommended.

>>> --enable-presenter-extra-ui

Not enabled by default, thus doesn't save buildtime

>>> --without-junit

IIIRC only used when runing the subsequenttests as a seperate step
after the build, so doesn't contribute to buildtime, disabling it is
uncritical, but also doesn't save anything.

>>> --disable-graphite

OK to specify, but again I doubt it contributes much to overall buildtime.

>>> --disable-kde4 --disable-layout --enable-cairo

KDE4 is autodetected (disabled if libraries are not there), so OK if
you don't want KDE4 support, but then again why not disable kde (3)
support as well?

disable-layout is the default anyway,
enable-cairo is the default anyway.

So I'd suggest to start with

./configure --disable-build-mozilla --disable-binfilter --disable-odk

and only add more option if configure complains about missing
dependencies (i.e. if gtk libs are not available and thus you want to
disable-gtk, but as we're talking about ubuntu here....)

>> configure with as few options as possible is the way to go.
>> --disable-binfilter, --disable-odk being the exception as they
>> completely disable *independent* parts and thus can accellerate the build
>> without side-effects.
>
> Our need is to verify / trace and debug in starmath and sw. IMHO, could be
> Michal striked a strange issue.

Well - not so strange - just a (possible) bug in a seldomly used
configuration. Seldomly used/compiled because it uses non-default
configure flags. Default is to enable fontconfig. So everyone who
compiles OOo without the additional configure option will not see the
problem.

> In this case, I'd better vote for something wrong with system fontconfig ,
> cairo or something around that.

No, not system fontconfig, no cairo, just different line of code that
is used when fontconfig is disabled. As there are ubuntu buildbots
that compile fine (with default options), I don't think it is related
to ubuntu (but who knows)

>>> here I just added references to the implementation of the method as they
>>> were in the header
>>
>> So you patched your code, apparently in an area that is sensitive to
>> fontconfig (enabled/disabled),
>
> IMHO no : the patch is about starmath, sfx2, and sw (mostly), nothing
> directly concerning vcl.

Then I misunderstood, but the error is in a codepath that is only compiled/used
http://pumbaa.ooodev.org:59145/source/xref/vcl/unx/source/fontmanager/fontconfig.cxx#1236

#ifdef ENABLE_FONTCONFIG
…
#else