OOo Authors are not able to release the getting started user guide because of a bug (that I incorrectly thought was introduced with 3.3 that also exists in the development build that I installed last week).

Download a zipped copy of the master document and sub-files from here:

http://www.oooauthors.org/english/userguide3/gs3/V3_3_revisions/OOo3.3-drafts.zip/view

If you choose to "update all" or generate a PDF, many of the images are not included. Oddly, for me, the images appear to be present in the initial load. On my computer, I see this strong in chapter 3 (I noticed in others but did not really go looking for them).

I noticed a pattern on the images that did not display:

They are all embedded as a character in a frame.
If you right click on the image you can NOT choose to anchor the image to the frame (that option is not available).

Looks like I can make the problem go away by changing the "size mode" so that it is not relative or auto (set a specific size). I make the size just a wee bit smaller so that the image does not fill the frame horizontally.

I also set the paragraph style for the paragraph containing the image to OOoFigure.

When this is done, the frame is a bit larger than the image and the image appears in the master and the generated PDF

Jean, I carbon copied you since I doubt that you read the dev mailing list. Have you opened a bug against this? I was not able to find one. I see the same incorrect behavior in the previous release. Unclear what the internal problem is. I am careful when I manipulate the file because it causes my development build to core dump if I mess with the frames too much.

********

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php