On 21.12.2010 05:28, Zindy Minshava wrote:

I am creating an add-on for OpenOffice Writer in java. In my
application I have the need to refresh the text displayed in a GUI on
a time basis manner.

That is the user should be able to work on Writer application while
the add on displays  different texts on a separate GUI time to time.

Do I need to use separate thread for my add- on to achieve this? Or
how can I achieve these idle time intervals without effecting the
Writer application?

Can anyone help me with this.. :)
Java components that are created from inside OOo will use the same thread as the code that created it. So if you want to run your code in parallel, you must create a thread. It is true that OOo has some issues with using its API from multiple threads, but it depends on what exactly you want to do in the thread if the answer is "you can do it, but be prepared for problems" or "you can do it, no problems".

Regards,
Mathias

OpenOffice.org Engineering at Oracle: http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS
Please don't reply to "nospamfor...@gmx.de".