On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 03:29:47PM +0000, Jon Burgess wrote:

> > > We do not directly deal with this level of detail in Mapnik. The
> > > PostgreSQL Postgis extensions deal with efficiently performing spatial
> > > queries on the data in the tables. It uses an radix-index scheme which
> > > I believe is a more generalised form of quad-tiling.
> >
> > AFAIK postgis uses R-trees for indexing, i.e. no sort of tiling whatsoever.
>
> I was thinking that the prefix / trie structure of the r-tree is quite
> similar to the quad tiling scheme. The further you go down the tree
> the smaller spatial area is covered by the objects deeper in the tree.

The big difference between an R-tree and a radix tree is that the nodes of an
R-tree can and do overlap, while those of a radix tree don't.

This makes it easier to store large objects since you don't have to insert
them into multiple nodes if they happen to cross the edge of a tile, but only
into a single node, whose bbox you can adjust.

  Gabriel.