I'll admit and apologise that I haven't been following this thread too
closely, but from skimming over the surface wanted to make a couple of
observations.

The way we currently draw coastlines, as a boundary between the landmass and
a body of water sitting within the landmass is no different from the
position with lakes. If we think of the world as essentially a solid land
and that we have seas, oceans and lakes suck into it we can perhaps remove
some of the complexity of what is being discussed.

If we were to say that the boundary between land and a water body,
regardless of type, was to be treated in the same way that we now treat
coastlines, would we not have a straightforward method of tagging for
everything?

That leaves the issue of rendering order so that land that pokes through an
enveloping body of water gets rendered last. Surely the layer facility deals
with that?

I appreciate that some will wish to associate all the different edges of a
water body (outer and multiple inners), but we have relations for that.

If I've got this all wrong then someone point me to better understand the
problem.

Cheers

Andy