Brian Peschel wrote:
>Sent: 14 March 2008 1:19 PM
>To: dev@openstreetmap.org
>Subject: [OSM-dev] Rendering Rules
>
>First, let me say I think the maps that Open Street Map are producing
>look great!  So, here is my question(s).
>
>Based on what I can gather from the wiki, it looks like the US data all
>started from TIGER data and has been updated from there.  And, again
>based on the wiki, all the rendering styles appear to come from the tags
>that are used (highway=trunk, railway=rail, etc) based on this page:
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features

The TIGER data was imported to OSM as you say, but the reality is that with
the exception of a few areas very little has been updated since. It needs
losts of users on the ground to do that.

>So, how did the conversion from the TIGER CFCC codes to your tags
>occur?  Is there a master list that has the conversion from one set to
>another?

See this page of what was mapped to what:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/TIGER_to_OSM_Attribute_Map

>I have been playing with the Mapnik source code for rendering some
>maps.  I have data in a custom format, so I had to write my own driver.
>Is there some place I can see the style definitions that are being used
>on Open Street Map?  For example, as you zoom in, a road may appears
>black.  Then as you zoom in, it changes to white with a black
>background.  (Python calls them Style and Rule and c++ calls them
>feature_type_style and rule_type).

Both Mapnik and Osmarender have a set of rules that apply at the various
zoom levels. You can find these by browsing svn:

http://svn.openstreetmap.org/

Hope this helps

Cheers

Andy