On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 3:05 PM, m*sh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Am Fr, 4.07.2008, 12:39, schrieb Erik Johansson:
>> This has come up before, in different ways each time. I know started
>> thinking that any editor would first let you choose the type, and then
>> let you draw it, like in Google Map Maker. But since we had the
>> segments untagged in the beginning I think the easiest path was to add
>> tagging after you draw.
>
> Why should there be any order at all? I do not understand that.
> Except for the very basic fact that you usually have raw data from your
> GPSr that you are editing. So first there is the Waypoint or Way and then
> you edit its properties. And if you create an additional node manually you
> may chose what to edit first - the North/West-Values or the tags...

Yeah, there's no really good reason why you need to edit in that
order, other than it's easier to program, and probably more how most
people think.
Our dynamic ontology, and largely tag ambivalent editors are why it's
that way round.
That all changes if I have a SimCity like setup where I choose the
road tool, then the rail tool, and then the water tool etc.. but that
requires the editors to work with map features ("presets") as the
starting point rather than an afterthought.

Dave