If you are planning to serve up a custom map then you need to render your
own tiles, and for that you will probably want a database backend unless you
plan to deliver only a very small area of the world. The three rendered
versions on the OSM website all use a different process, although both the
default and the cycle layer use mapnik, but not the same database. The
website itself runs with Ruby on Rails. The export, browse and search
functions are all special components, the search facility for instance has a
separate database interface.

Doing a search on the wiki for the individual components will help explain
how it all works under the hood.

Cheers

Andy