Chris Browet wrote:
> 2008/8/7 Shaun McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>> Chris Browet wrote:
>>

>>>    Do you think about floating-point or fixed-point
>>>    coordinates?
>>>

>>> This is one of the things to discuss. For mobile applications, fixed-point
>>> is the most efficient but we have to balance this with the loss of
>>> precision.
>>>
>> Actually the OSM db stores the node's lat and lon as integers. There is a
>> scaling factor of 10000000 done on the fly when you read and write notes.
This is actually irrelevant for routing and I would even dare to say
that the integer format is a lot faster for routing. It would be better
to keep integers for routing and only transform the result to lat/lon
when it needs to be displayed.

As Stefan said: The format completely depends on the purpose it is
supposed to serve.