On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Karl Newman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm curious why the planet dump doesn't cut off at midnight, so you
> wouldn't get these duplicates. Is it because it's way more expensive to
> compare timestamps? I doubt it, because the minutely diff generation can run
> through the timestamps in the entire database in a few seconds. Am I missing
> something, or is it for hysterical raisins (as TomH likes to say) and nobody
> ever bothered to change it?

The current planet dump just dumps the current tables, it doesn't look at
history tables which is the only way to avoid this.  It also introduces data
inconsistencies because nodes, ways and relations will be read at different
times.  Osmosis does have a task for producing a consistent snapshot at a
point in time using the history tables but it isn't used in production, I
originally wrote it with the idea of replacing the current planet process
but it isn't very fast and not appropriate to running against the main
database.

The current method isn't ideal but it is fast and you can obtain a
consistent snapshot by then applying an osmosis changeset that overlaps the
period when the planet was generated.