Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Robert (Jamie) Munro <rjmu...@arjam.net>
> wrote:
>> IMHO ways should be restricted to more like 256 nodes
>
> Oh god I hope not. Coastlines by themselves are tens of millions of
> nodes and there's already a huge number of ways needed to do it.
> Reducing the number of nodes in a way to 256 is a useless waste of
> time. Sometimes you really do need to store lots of nodes.

Not wanting to plead for a certain limit of nodes per way, but what would be
the technical problem with a single entity consisting of a million 2-node
ways, as opposed to a way of a million nodes?
Ok, it will take some time to connect those million nodes, but at present,
osmarender likes the million ways better than the million-node way.

(ok, have not tested a million ways, the examples where osmarender barfs are
usually in the tens of thousands of nodes).

> Eventually country boundaries are going to be the same order of
> magnitude and I don't want to see madness like having you split an
> island boundary in two just because it's 257 nodes.

I thought that for ease of rendering (be it osmarender, or JOSM, or maybe
Merkaartor) it is always better to let the number of nodes per way not grow
out of bounds.

Maarten