2009/1/19 Christopher Schmidt <crschm...@metacarta.com>

> Hey,
>
> Using the osm2pgsql diff loading code, and osmosis's --rci, I've got an
> up to date copy of the Mapnik database being maintained on a server I
> have access to. I put together a little bookmarklet that lets you do a
> 'live view' of any area by pressing a button.
>
>  http://labs.metacarta.com/osm/up-to-date/
>
> Since this is not tiled at all, the performance is not likely to be great,
> but it does make an interesting demo.
>
> As usual, the data is working from osmosis minutely diffs, so it will be
> delayed in the same way those are.
>
> For the record, loading daily diffs took about one hour apiece (after
> spending the 10.5 hours to get a planet loaded). (Range was from 45m to
> 70m; the latter was during a vaccum run, I believe.)
>
> All in all, a pretty simple task; just load a planet, load diffs with -a
> -- I did this manually to get caught up to the latest hour -- then turn
> on --rci.
>
> Feedback welcome,

One quick note... It looks like UTF8 data has been broken at some point...
example of area that this is visible below...

http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=30.287874917085606&lon=120.12903655645077&zoom=16&layers=F00000F0B0F

Apart from that little problem it looks pretty cool... Of course, if the
mapnik layer was getting minutely diffs applied along with automatic marking
of tiles with changes as dirty, that would be even cooler :)