2009/3/11 Tal <tal....@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Dave Stubbs <osm.l...@randomjunk.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> Don't encourage people to try to insert random crap in free form tags
>> such as name.
>
> It is no more crap than your answer ;) It is an attempt to offer a
> better solution to a serious problem in some parts of the map.
> I agree that this might be considered as a temporary solution since,
> as I see it, at the end there will be no "name" tag. It is simply not
> flexible enough for a multi language project. For that, a lot of tools
> will have to change, or a common preprocessor agreed upon.
> Until then, this is the lesser evil.
>
>> Most people dealing with this will just print it and
>> it'll look stupid.
>
> You may be right. That is a disadvantage. But as we don't tag for the
> renderer, we definitely do not tag for "Most people dealing with
> this".

Yes. Yes we do.

What we don't do is mis-tag for the renderer. We don't tag
construction sites as landuse=allotments because we like the colour
mapnik uses to render allotments. We do however tag things with
highway=motorway and not highway=omgponies because that's what the
renderer is expecting and only osmarender will correctly handle
omgponies as a motorway of arbitraryness.

> I know it might look like this a classic tagging for the renderer (I
> already said that my problem is only with the slippy map on the osm
> site),
>  but this is not the case. It is purely to have better data quality.
> The best - and in fact the only reasonable - way to store Hebrew names
> in a multi lingual map of Israel is using the name:he tag.
> Currently we depend upon the slippy map. We tag, we see it rendered,
> we fix problems, add missing street names, fight about naming
> conventions etc.
> The map is steadily improving (with the natural focus upon hebrew
> names, but not only). The problems is that we are basing our all our
> work on the name tags, which DO contain random crap. Sometimes they
> also contain English, sometime Hebrew and transliteration, sometimes
> just English, and most of the time Hebrew. A computer script can't
> automatically go back from the "name" tags to the "name:he" tags. So
> as a result, we have lesser quality data - We have no idea what the
> name:he tags contain, because we do not see them, and the improvement
> to the name tags can't automatically go back to the name:he tags.
> This is the disturbing situation which I want to make a little better.
>

>> Find some other way of doing this.
>> Several perfectly good ones were suggested on the recent thread.
>
> I've mainly seen my proposal, copy-paste in the editor and name:local=XX.
> Maybe I've missed something?
> Are you referring to the  name:local=XX  ? This is OK by me, but less
> intuitive to the mapper, since one needs to remember a new tag. And,
> old tools will have NO name tags with this solution, so it'll be just
> a little better then using name tags with garbage. Think driving
> instructions with no name tags...

and you think name=$(name:he) is intuitive to a non-programmer?
For an intuitive end-user-experience you need to fix the editor
itself. And when you start playing with the editor you can make the
copy-paste automatic.

Dave