http://monetdb.cwi.nl/projects/monetdb/SQL/Documentation/Embedded-Server.html#Embedded-Server
>> the "embedded"-mode is still a server, just for
>> embedded systems.
>> I was talking about having the database as a library
>> be a part of the program.
>> Nothing to install or to start separately.
>
> You could always make your program embed/start the database server
> regardless of whether it's a library or a server. It would just mean
> e.g. shipping the postgresql binaries with your program and doing some
> magic in your program that ensures that the server is started when the
> program is.

And determining what platform's binary to run in the first place
(Windows? Linux? Solaris?, Windows Mobile?, ...) including the
version of the libc. I thought about what is possible here for a while now
and I guess the effort and download-size are not worth it.

Marcus