Don't understand me wrong. I like OSM's data model how it is. I have
studied the OpenGIS features and it makes sense to build a system on top
of OpenGIS if you are interested to index the geometries of OSM objects.
All a question of data representation. So in the end it would be great,
if all multipolygons would fit to the new standard (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multipolygon#Advanced_multipolygons )
where MultiPolygons are supported. Then it is much easier to transform
OSM multipolygons into OpenGIS MultiPolygons. That's it. I just want
that it is easier for developers to built on top of OSM. It's not about
OSM supporting official standards. But the standards built inside OSM
should be consistent.

The first algorithm I implemented cared about the order of the ways as
LineStrings, which make up the rings of the polygon. This will just work
properly for recently created objects. For older ones I have to create
the rings by combining the ways in the right order. This algorithm is
not as performant because I have to find the order for myself or even
have to find out which inners belong to which outer. Conclusion: Make a
robot change all multipolygon relations to fit into the new model - so
the software built on top of OSM (starting with the Map renderers)
doesn't need to care any more of different representations.

Andi