>>> A better data format for
>>> rendering would contain only point of interest nodes, with ways
>>> represented as polylines of points, with no need for the client to
look
>>> up
>>> the coordinates of the way's constituent nodes by ID.
>
>> What you're talking for is a xml/json frontend for a postgis-db. The
>> resolving of node coordinates is done by osm2pgsql.
>>
>> Peter

>Looks interesting but only for high zoom-levels.

That's the use-case I'm looking at: renderers at zoom levels of around 13,
14, 15 etc which can download and cache data from a server in around 0.1 x
0.1 lat/lon squares. I'm not intending to cater for more zoomed-out levels
just yet (I'll only do this as and when I need to) but if anyone wants to
work on the code, feel free to do so.

Nick