Hi,

> Is there an artificial reference .osm available, which shows different
> rendering scenarios?
>
> Especially for those building a rendering engine, it could be useful to
> have a simple OSM, which just contains all OSM map-feature, special cases
> (like multipolygons with holes, streets above another, ...) and a
> reference rendering (e.g. Mapnik, Osmarender) - as otherwise we have to
> hunt for special regions on the whole world.osm.

Osmarender has some test data which come close. You can look at them at:

http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/rendering/osmarender/testdata

The file named "comprehensive.osm" probably comes closest to what you
want. I'm not aware of the availability of rendered images of those
datafile. Neither for osmarender nor for mapnik.

HTH and HAND,
Patrick "Petschge" Kilian