On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 21:40:39 -0500, Frank Steggink <stegg...@steggink.org>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've created a small Python tool which buffers the polygon in a polygon
> file (for Osmosis),

Excuse me, wich polygon is buffered, when and for what purpose?
>From the source I see "Calculate a buffer around the polygon, using
PostGIS".
So this creates some PostGIS geometry that covers whatever the polygon
covers
"NB: holes aren't supported yet" plus some area around the polygon?
Then this (temporary?) geometry is exported as another polygon-file?

If is is a python-scrips, how is it used with Osmosis?
I guess these created polygon-files are nice for extracts that shall
contain elements next to the border?

Why does it need a PostGIS for this job? Wouldn't calculating
the normal in each vertex and offsetting the vertex along that normal
be enough? (Plus a check if the new location is not inside the polygon,
else offset only to the point where it touches the polygon.)

http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/osm-extract/polygons/polybuffer.py
> [2] http://www.maproom.psu.edu/dcw/

Regards,
Marcus