I can't connect to postgresql database that I can connect to with
pgsql(1) with osmosis and I can't figure out why this is:

    osmosis --read-xml-0.6 /var/www/osm.nix.is/latest/Iceland.osm.bz2
--write-apidb-0.6 populateCurrentTables=yes host="localhost"
database="osmistmp" user="osmistmp" password="osmistmp"
validateSchemaVersion=no
    org.openstreetmap.osmosis.core.OsmosisRuntimeException: Unable to
establish a database connection.
            at
org.openstreetmap.osmosis.core.apidb.common.DatabaseContext.getPostgresConnection(DatabaseContext.java:111)
            [...]
    Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: The connection attempt failed.
            at
org.postgresql.core.v3.ConnectionFactoryImpl.openConnectionImpl(ConnectionFactoryImpl.java:150)
            [...]
    Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Network is unreachable
            [...]

Nothing shows up in postgresql's log which suggests that it really
can't reach the server, but with the psql tool I can talk to the
server over TCP just fine:

    $ psql -h localhost -W -U osmistmp osmistmp
    Password for user osmistmp:
    [...]
    osmistmp=>

And I'm not having some DNS issues where localhost isn't resolved
(I've also tried to tell it to connect to127.0.0.1):

    $ dig +short localhost
    127.0.0.1

This is what my pg_hba.conf is like:

    $ egrep -v -e ^# -e ^$ /etc/postgresql/8.4/main/pg_hba.conf
    local   all         postgres                          ident
    local   all         all                               ident
    host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
    host    all         all         ::1/128               md5

I added some debugging strings to  DatabaseContext.java and found out
that it's getting the connection as:

    newConnection =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:postgresql://localhost/osmistmp",
"osmistmp", "osmistmp");

Which looks fine.