Martin,

On Jan 29, 2010, at 8:40 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> Dane, again thank you for your reply. With your help I managed relink
> to /usr/local/lib (temporary moved the libicu) and finally pass the
> configure procedure.

Glad you could get icu linking working with that workaround.

Good news is that as of r1649 of Mapnik trunk (and in the upcoming
Mapnik 0.7.1 release) this workaround should no longer be needed
(http://trac.mapnik.org/ticket/484
)

Also fixed (http://trac.mapnik.org/ticket/517).

> Step 1 and 2 didn't work, but after commenting out what 3) suggested
> it passed. This does mean there are no shapeindexes?

It means the command line utility to generate indexes will not be
available. But, existing indexes will still work, like the ones
provided along with the osm coastline shapefiles.

> 2010/1/29 Dane Springmeyer <bl...@hailmail.net>:
>> Too old for what? Not Mapnik 0.7.0, which again works with ubuntu-
>> repository
>> boost and icu. If it did not them please give me details.
>

> no, I can't tell but I think you're right: before installing Mapnik
> 0.7 I tried to install from svn (0.8?). That didn't work and I updated
> icu and boost. After that didn't work I tried mapnik 0.7, so I already
> had updated them before I tried mapnik 0.7.

Okay, gocha.

> Again thanks for your help,
>
> I try some rendering

You are welcome, have fun!