hi
>> If all the changesets would go to an xmpp stream, it would be a really
>> easy to such a liveticker for osm.
>>

> There was a site in the past where this was visible. I have created an
> OpenLayers implementation to visualize it. So even with what is publish
> now, not a line of XMPP is required to do so.
I did the osmlive based on minutely Changesets.
The best result was about 5 minutes delay.
On a webbrowser the xmpp lib strophe offers a nice BOSH connection and
no polling is needed.
http://code.stanziq.com/strophe/

A 5 second delay could be done without problem.
5 seconds is faster than 5 minutes.

Maybe you think 5 minutes are no problem.
But think about an interface where you see live what other
people are doing. The next step could be to implement a
fast human to human communication.
If you see somebody editing something in a strange way, you could give
help on how to do it better.

Bernhard